If you live in Thailand for less than 3 months, you are allowed to drive your vehicle under your home country’s driving license + IDP (International Driving Permit). These documents should be carried together and shown to a police officer at any time he stops your vehicle.
Every foreigner residing in Thailand for more 3 months and driving a motorbike or a car is obliged to apply for a valid Thai driving license.
The process of getting a Thai driving license will be much easier if you have a valid driving license from your home country in English or an International Driving Permit. In this case you won’t have to pass the driving test and written exam. BUT this is applicable only if you apply for a driving license of the same type as you have in your home country’s driving license.
In other words, if your home country’s driving license allows you to drive a car, you can get the same permition in your Thai driving license and so on without passing the driving test and the written exam.
The contrary situation is that you have a car driving permit but you want to get a motorbike driving license. In this case you will have to pass the driving test and the written examination.
Starting from 2019 the driving license written examination in Thailand became much more complicated than it used to be before.
Nowadays the Thai driving license exam has 5 different categories:
Thai driving license exam is divided into 2 sets of questions, each set consists of 25 questions (totally 50 questions). The test-taker must answer 45 or more questions (90%) correctly to pass the written test.
Futher you can find the Thai driving license written test with questions and answer valid from 2019 and on. This test was semi-automatically translated from Thai into English, that’s why there are some mistakes and misspellings. Please be advised not to solely rely upon this source but to check other sources also.
If you find this information useful, please share it with your friends.
1. While driving, the driver must have any documents used with the driving license.
A. National Identification Card
B. Copy of house registration
C. Copy of car registration
D. Social Security Card
2. The driver violates the road traffic law and receives a ticket from the traffic officer, how many days must he contact to pay the fine?
A. 10 days
B. 7 days
C. 15 days
D. 30 days
3. When the driving license is lost or damaged, how many days must the application for a substitute be submitted to the registrar?
A. 20 days
B. 30 days
C. 15 days
D. 45 days
4. The driver does not have a driving license What’s wrong?
A. Imprisonment not over 1 year
B. Imprisonment not over 1 month or fined not more than 1,000 baht or both
C. fine not more than 2,000 baht
D. fine not more than 5,000 baht
5. How many years is a temporary driving license?
A. 1 year
B. 2 years
C. 3 years
D. 4 years
6. What is the fault of the driver using the old driver’s license?
A. Fined not more than five thousand baht
B. Imprisonment of not more than three months.
C. Fined not more than two thousand baht
D. Imprisonment of not more than one month.
7. How much additional money will a vehicle that does not pay annual tax within the stipulated time limit?
A. 1 percent per month
B. 1 percent per year
C. 10 percent per month
D. 20 percent per year
8. How many days must the car transfer be notified to the registrar?
A. 15 days
B. 45 days
C. 20 days
D. 30 days
9. How many days to change the car color must notify the registrar?
A. 7 days
B. 10 days
C. 15 days
D. 20 days
10. How much renewal of a personal driving license (5 years) can be renewed in advance?
A. 3 months
B. 4 months
C. 6 months
D. 5 months
11. How many years old must the car be inspected before the annual tax payment?
A. 5 Years
B. 6 Years
C. 3 Years
D. 7 Years
12. How many days for moving a car to notify the registrar?
A. 30 days
B. 15 days
C. 25 days
D. 20 days
13. How many years of age must a motorcycle be inspected before the annual tax payment?
A. 1 Year
B. 3 Year
C. 2 Year
D. 5 Year
14. According to the Car Act 2522 B.E. “Car” means
A. Cars, motorcycles Trailer. Road roller, tractor and other vehicles as specified in the Ministerial Regulations
B. Cars, Motorcycles, Trailer
C. Cars, Motorcycles Trailer. Road roller. Tractor
D. Car, motorcycle Trailer. Tractors
15. According to the Car Act 2522 B.E. “Car” means
A. Public vehicles, service vehicles and personal cars, taxis
B. Public vehicles, service vehicles and personal motorcycles
C. Public motorcycles, service vehicles and personal motorcycles
D. Public vehicles, service vehicles and personal cars
16. According to the Car Act 2522 B.E. “Motorcycle” means
A. The vehicle that runs the engine or electric power and has no more than two wheels If there is weight, not more than one wheel
B. The vehicle that runs the engine or electric power and has no more than two wheels
C. The vehicle operating with engine power must have no more than two wheels.
D. Vehicles with motor or electric power and have more than two wheels
17. Which item is not “Public Taxi”
B. Personal Motorcycle
C. Public motorcycle motorcycles
D. Public tricycle
18. According to the Car Act 2522 B.E. “Car Service” means
A. Rental cars which carry no more than seven passengers
B. Passenger car carrying no more than seven passengers
C. Car carrying passengers or rent, carrying no more than seven passengers
D. Car carrying passengers or rent, carrying more than seven passengers
19. Which item is “personal vehicle”?
A. Personal Motorcycles
C. Public Tricycles
D. Red Label Cars
20. What characteristics must be used on a road vehicle?
A. The car with the front lamp is not lit.
B. Vehicles that are noisy. 90 decibels A.
C. Cars with 55 percent black smoke
D. Cars that have been registered and paid tax
21. The vehicle that can be registered must have some characteristics.
A. The car must have the correct equipment and pass the vehicle inspection
B. The car must have the correct fittings
C. Cars purchased from general car dealers
D. Vehicles that have been inspected from the private vehicle inspection council
22. The following vehicles are exempt from registration.
A. Cars of Wat
B. Cars of the Foundation
C. Cars for His Majesty the King
D. Commander-in-Chief’s Car
23. The following vehicles are exempt from registration.
A. Cars of temples
B. Cars of registered police department and with signs in accordance with regulations prescribed by the Director-General
C. Cars of the Thai Red Cross
D. Cars of Friends in Need Foundation
24. The following vehicles are exempt from registration.
A. Vehicles of the Bureau of the Royal Household which are registered and marked in accordance with the regulations specified by the Palace Secretary
B. Cars for His Majesty the King
C. Vehicles of the Police Department that are registered and marked with the regulations specified by the Director-General.
D. Every item is correct.
25. The following vehicles are exempt from registration.
A. Vehicles that the vehicle owner notifies to use the car.
B. Imported cars
C. Personal tricycle
D. Motorcycle used in the village
26. The following vehicles are exempt from registration.
A. A vehicle that a manufacturer or assembler has for sale or an importer for sale, manufacture, assembly or owner And not yet sold to others
B. Personal tricycle
C. Motorcycle used in the village
D. The temple car.
27. The following vehicles are exempt from paying fees, except for license plate plates.
A. Car hire
B. Personal motorcycles
C. Fire trucks
D. Personal vans
28. The following vehicles are exempt from paying fees, except for license plate plates.
A. ambulance that is not a car for hire
B. Personal motorcycles
D. Personal van
29. The following vehicles are exempt from paying fees, except for license plate plates.
A. Personal van
B. Cars of the Foundation.
C. Cars of the temple
D. Cars of the Ministry, bureau. Department of Municipality, Sanitary Administration Organization of Bangkok Sanitation District, Pattaya City, and local governments that call otherwise names.
30. The following vehicles are exempt from paying fees, except for license plate plates.
A. Private Road Roller
B. Rollers of state enterprises
C. Private tractors
D. Personal Tractor